Cemetery Maintenance Crafts Worker/Special MEO, City of Cambridge Department of Public Works
Under the supervision of the Working Supervisor, performs journey worker level masonry skills in putting in cement foundations for monuments. Digs graves as the primary function of this position. Operates pick-up trucks, dump trucks, rubbish compactor trucks, small tractors, bulldozers, rollers, or other vehicles with a rated capacity of 26,001 pounds or over; panel trucks, passenger automobiles, sidewalk plows and sweepers, snow loaders, leaf loaders, snow fighters, sidewalk rollers, and road flashers. Operates hoisting equipment where a special license from the Massachusetts Department of Public Safety is required. Greases, oils, cleans, and performs other minor preventive maintenance on equipment including some servicing on the job for certain special equipment. Minimum of two years of related experience. Must possess a current and valid Commercial Driver’s License Classification B and a 2B Hoisting Engineer License. $27.22 – $31.84/hour (7/1/22 additional 1.5% pay increase). To apply, complete a labor service application form (click on link) available from and returned to the Personnel Department, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Mass Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139 or submit via email to email@example.com.
Review of resumes is ongoing. We are an AA/EEO Employer.
For a complete job description, visit link below:
People & Culture Manager at Mount Auburn Cemetery
Mount Auburn Cemetery comprises 175 acres and is situated in Watertown and Cambridge near Boston, Massachusetts. Founded in 1831, and now visited by over 200,000 people each year, Mount Auburn is a National Historic Landmark, recognized as the first “rural cemetery” and the inspiration for the American Parks Movement during the 19th century. As an active cemetery, Mount Auburn inspires all who visit, comforts the bereaved, and commemorates the dead in a landscape of exceptional beauty. As an accredited arboretum, Mount Auburn features 5,000 trees and more than 20,000 plants overall.
Reporting to the Vice President of People & Culture (VPPC) assist in building a comprehensive and supportive function. The People & Culture Manager performs a wide range of People & Culture problem solving, employee supportive administration tasks. Process bi-weekly payroll nd time off transactions in a timely and accurate fashion. Administrators a full range of employee benefits programs. Performs a range of assignments as directed by the VPPC.
DUTIES AND Responsibilities:
Support organizational hiring efforts: prepare and place job advertisements, research alternate recruiting sources, review, maintain, screen and evaluate applicants, conduct pre-employment screening processes through the final offer.
- Process bi-weekly payroll and time off transactions in a timely and accurate fashion. Monitor absenteeism and reports.
- Process efficiently and accurately all Human Resources paperwork such as new hire documentation, payroll changes, insurance billing and changes, workers’ compensation and disability claims
- Maintain personnel records. Serve as secretary/liaison for employee issues with state and/or federal agencies involving housing and welfare issues.
- Manage and maintain all employee benefit programs within deadlines. Coordinate annual open enrollment periods (during second and fourth quarters annually) and annual flu clinic. Assist VPPC with plan reviews and communicating changes to employees. Arrange for on-site employee presentations as needed. Process and review monthly billings from insurance carriers.
- Notify third party administrators for COBRA notices and insurance carriers of terminations. Work with TPA on pending unemployment claims, act as representative for the Cemetery at unemployment hearings and appeals.
- Track COBRA enrollments and premium payments
- Work with TPA and insurance carrier when needed on the administration of the HRA (health reimbursement arrangement) and 125 Cafeteria programs (flexible spending, dependent care and commuter transit accounts)
- Assist with writing company handbook and updating company policies and job descriptions as needed
- Assist in the annual audits of the Cemetery and Retirement Plans
- Provide on-going support to the VPPC as requested or needed including training programs.
- Review and report all workers’ compensation cases to insurance carrier
- Provide on-going support to the Safety Committee Director, chair and committee. Report safety incidents to insurance carrier. Serve as liaison between the safety committee, insurance carrier and risk management program administrator.
- Act as representative for the Cemetery at Division of Industrial Accidents hearings. Work with safety chair, insurance carrier, insurance broker and risk management administrator on open workers’ compensation cases.
REQUIREMENTS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- College degree with 3-5 years of experience in a Human Resources role
- Knowledge of federal and state employment laws and regulations as well as knowledge and understanding of insurance regulations, plan designs and third-party record keeping/administration
- Bi-lingual ability English/ Spanish required
- Strong computer and typing skills required, specifically, experience with Microsoft Office, including Access, Excel, Word and Outlook, required. Experience with automated payroll system such as ADP (Workforce Now, PCPW®, PayeXpert® ,EzLabor Management® and HRB®) preferred.
- Collaborative working skills and ability to communicate successfully with employees at all levels
- Must have excellent organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple tasks efficiently
- Must be a self-starter with strong initiative and the ability to work independently
- Must be patient, energetic, creative and flexible as work demands
- Ability to handle multiple tasks quickly and efficiently
- Must be detail oriented
- Must be able to move within a normal office environment, accessing all records and equipment with ease
- Must be able to move between desk, front counter all files and walk up and down stairs
- Ability to maintain composure and professional outlook when under job-related pressure
- Must have a valid driver’s license
HOURS of WORK: Normally from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM on Monday to Friday with some flexibility. Working on-site is required.
How to Apply:Please send a cover letter stating your career goals and objectives with a current resume, as Microsoft Word documents, and include “People & Culture Manager” in the subject area, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or by mail to:
Mount Auburn Cemetery
580 Mount Auburn Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No telephone calls please.
Mount Auburn Cemetery is an equal opportunity employer.
Director of Finance, Treasurer Newton Cemetery & Arboretum
Newton Cemetery & Arboretum is seeking an experienced professional to join the team. A private, non-profit organization established in 1855 during the garden cemetery movement, Newton Cemetery is still an active cemetery serving the burial needs of families of all faiths throughout the Greater Boston area. The beautiful, well-maintained grounds are open to the public every day and offer a tranquil, park-like setting with numerous burial options throughout the landscape.
The Director of Finance is the chief financial officer of Newton Cemetery, reporting to the President and acting as the primary liaison to the Finance Committee of the Board of Trustees. The Director works with the President and the Committee Chair to schedule meetings, set agendas, and carry out the Committee’s decisions with the Newton Cemetery’s investment manager. The Director also works closely with upper management and department heads to establish and monitor the annual operating and capital budgets.
The Director of Finance ensures the efficient and effective performance of the financial and human resource functions of Newton Cemetery. Duties include preparing monthly and annual financial statements, completing bi-weekly payroll, and overseeing accounts payable and receivable.
The Director of Finance manages Human Resources and is responsible for the creation and implementation of HR policies, benefits, retirement plans, personnel policies and procedures, ensuring that the plans and policies comply with applicable laws and that plan information is communicated appropriately to all employees.
The successful candidate for this position will be a hands-on manager with the ability to work independently while also effectively communicating with other departments and all staff.
• Manage cash flow, forecasting and reporting, coordinating with the management team and the Finance/Audit Committee.
• Maintain effective internal controls of the accounting function to assure safeguarding of assets and reliability of financial statements.
• Ensure documentation of related operating procedures and a procedural manual for the position is in place and up to date.
• Prepare clear, accurate monthly and annual financial reports and filings for Newton Cemetery and Friends of Newton Cemetery.
• Oversee Accounts Payable and Receivable functions.
• Input General Ledger adjustments.
• Lead preparations for the annual financial audit of Newton Cemetery and Friends of Newton Cemetery.
• Manage and operate all aspects of the payroll function.
• Review and authorize the production of annual Forms 990 and 990T and other required local, state, and federal filings.
• Monitor endowment activity and coordinate transfers.
• Collaborate with managers to identify the appropriate back up personnel for each essential process; ensure thorough documentation of individual tasks and manage cross training, job sharing, or job rotation with personnel that may need to serve as back up for the Director of Finance.
• Coordinate the annual budget process with all levels of management.
• Negotiate, authorize, and manage all insurance policies.
• Represent HR as a member of the Safety Committee.
• Oversee the management of all leases, contracts, and other financial commitments.
• Negotiate and manage all employee benefit plans and annual renewals, including timely contributions for 401(k) plan.
• Maintain employee personnel files and records.
• Prepare enrollments of benefit plans for new hires.
• Ensure compliance with IRS, COBRA, ERISA, and DOL requirements.
• Organize Unrestricted, Temporarily Restricted, and Permanently Restricted Funds
• Other duties as required.
• Act as a role model consistent with Newton Cemetery’s goals and objectives; maintain a positive, professional, and motivating demeanor.
• Ability to communicate clearly and provide leadership to perform duties in a prompt, accurate, and thorough manner.
• Superb analytic, organization, and problem-solving skills.
• Familiarity with Unrestricted, Temporarily Restricted, and Permanently Restricted Funds.
• A multitasker with the ability to wear many hats.
Qualifications and Experience
• BA/BS degree in accounting or related field.
• Masters/MBA/CPA preferred.
• 8-10 years of experience in accounting/finance and senior management.
• Experience with Sage 300 (or similar), Microsoft Office, ADP Payroll System.
• Experience managing staff.
The Director of Finance is a full-time, exempt position. Work hours are Monday through Friday, 8am-4:30pm with some flexibility. Salary is commensurate with experience. Newton Cemetery offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental insurance, retirement plan, life/LTD insurance, and paid leave.
How to Apply
Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with subject line “Director of Finance Application.” All materials should include applicant’s last name in the file name.
Newton Cemetery is an equal opportunity employer.
Department of Public Works-Park
870 Hammond Street
Chestnut Hill, MA, 02467
Minutes Walk to Public Transit:
Job Close Date:
The Brookline Parks and Open Space Division is seeking a Cemetery Supervisor to perform supervisory, administrative, and manual work overseeing the operations and maintenance of the Town’s Walnut Hill Cemetery and to provide ongoing maintenance and care of the Old Burying Ground; other related work, as required.
The Cemetery Supervisor locates and lays out lots and graves; sells lots and
prepare deeds; maintains communication with funeral directors, memorial companies,
and vault companies; ensures that graves are set up for the day of the funeral. Other duties include:
- Plan daily and seasonal work activities; perform maintenance work and operate equipment; conduct seasonal fall and spring cleaning, prepare for special days, such as Memorial Day and Veterans Day; coordinate maintenance activities with the interment related work.
- Dig and prepare graves; seed and fertilize grave areas; maintain grounds and keep roads safe and clean; build foundations for headstones and set headstones; cut grass and clear weeds from around headstones; apply pesticides and other chemicals to provide for insect control; prune and shape shrubbery around lots.
- Perform administrative work, including data entry and records of internments.
- Perform other duties as directed, such as other ground maintenance duties or snow shoveling around public buildings; ensure compliance with applicable safety practices and standards.
- Perform similar or related work as required, or as situation dictates.
High school diploma; additional technical training; five years of experience
performing grounds maintenance and construction related work; supervisory
experience desirable; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Must have excellent communication and planning skills.
- Valid Commercial Driver’s License, Class B
- Valid MA Hoisting Engineer’s License
Starting salary: $33.20 hourly with excellent benefits. Work location is Walnut Cemetery, 96 Grove St., Chestnut Hill MA. Please apply by June 20, 2023.
The Town of Brookline is an equal opportunity employer and dedicated to maintaining a diverse workforce.
Knollwood Cemetery Corporation
Seeking Compassionate Leader for Timeless Legacy
Are you ready to lead with your heart and create a lasting impact on generations to come? Knollwood Cemetery is a 75+ year old, 350+ acre memorial park located in the southern suburbs of Boston, MA. We are seeking a visionary President/CEO to guide our nationally recognized cemetery into the future with empathy, innovation, and reverence. As the caretaker of cherished memories and final resting places, you will play an integral role in the lives of families during their most sensitive times.
As President/CEO, you will be the guiding light that inspires our dedicated team to carry out our mission with purpose and excellence. Your strategic vision and leadership skills will drive our cemetery to new heights, upholding its legacy while embracing modern practices. Responsibilities include:
- Visionary Leadership: Infuse cemetery with forward-thinking strategies that embrace innovation, while preserving the timeless values of compassion and dignity.
- Community Engagement: Foster meaningful relationships with local communities, religious groups, and funeral service professionals, understanding their unique needs and tailoring our service accordingly.
- Operational Excellence: Oversee the efficient management of cemetery grounds, maintenance, and administrative functions, ensuring a seamless experience for grieving families.
- Financial Stewardship: Develop sustainable financial strategies that ensure the long-term stability and growth of the cemetery.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Proven Leadership: Demonstrated success in executive leadership, with experience in cemetery management, funeral services, or related fields.
- Empathy and Sensitivity: A deep understanding of the emotional challenges faced by grieving families and the ability to provide unwavering support.
- Strategic Vision: The capacity to envision a future where tradition and innovation harmonize to create a timeless and meaningful experience.
- Financial Acumen: Proficiency in financial management, budgeting, and strategic planning to ensure sustainable growth.
- Community Orientation: A talent for building strong relationships with diverse communities and stakeholders, fostering a sense of belonging.
Join Our Enduring Legacy
Please send your resume to:
P.O. Box 92
Canton, MA 02021
Attention: Louis J. Grossman, Board Chair
Knollwood Cemetery is an equal opportunity employer.
Forest Hills Cemetery
Job Title: Administrative Assistant
Reports to: Office Manager
Documents and maintains paperwork and process flows for interments. Documents and enters data on all lot and grave sales, interments and cremations. Provides phone coverage and customer service at the counter.
- Document and maintain paperwork and process flows for interments.
- Document and enter data for all lot and grave sales, interments and cremations, update lot cards and grave books.
- Create deeds, file folders and lot cards for all grave and lots after payment is received.
- Act as the first option of phone coverage for the office and customer service at the counter.
- Prepare work orders based on customer requests and coordinate completion with Operations Department.
- Ensure up-to-date filing of all documents.
- Maintain inventory of all brochures, literature and office supplies and place orders when required.
- Answer genealogy questions by letter, phone or in-person at the counter.
- Follow up with transportation permits and mail them to respective towns.
- Check the voicemails each morning and ensure all incoming calls are forwarded to the correct person.
- Distribute incoming mail on a daily basis.
This is a 40-hour per week position, with the possibility of paid, time and a half overtime. Office hours are 8:30am to 4:30pm Monday through Friday with additional rotational hours every third Saturday during the months of April – June and October – December (8:30am to 1pm). Benefits include health insurance and paid vacation, sick time and holidays. Please forward your resume to Janice Stetz at JStetz@ForestHillsCemetery.com. We are located at 95 Forest Hills Avenue, Jamaica Plain, MA.
Boston Catholic Cemetery Association
Position Available Effective 09/25/2023
Job Title: Administrative Assistant
Reports To: Business Agent / Superintendent
Job Description: Customer service is the main priority of all office staff. Assisting funeral directors, monument dealers and families. Documents and maintains paperwork and process flows for interments. Data entry on all lots and grave sales, interments and cremations. Update lot cards and grave books. Answers phone calls and provide customer service for walk in customers.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education and Experience:
High School Diploma or equivalent
Must be able to speak and write fluent English
Strong computer skills – specifically Microsoft Office Products
Must be proficient in Cemetery software (HMIS & Gravoc) within first 30 days of employment
Detailed oriented and well organized
Excellent customer service skills
Preferred Experience: Previous experience working in cemetery office.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
1) Document and maintain paperwork and process flows for interments
2) Document and enter data for all lot and grave sales, interments and cremations, update lot cards and grave books
3) Create deeds, file folders and lot cards for all grave and lots after payment is received
4) Act as the first option of phone coverage for the office and customer service at the counter
5) Prepare work orders based on customer requests and coordinate completion with Operations Department
6) Ensure up-to-date filing of all documents
7) Maintain inventory of all brochures, literature and office supplies and place orders when required
8) Answer genealogy questions by letter, phone or in-person at the counter
9) Follow up with transportation permits and mail them to respective towns
10) Check the voicemails each morning and ensure all incoming calls are forwarded to the correct person
Compensation: Salary shall be commensurate with experience
To apply for this position please forward your resume and a cover letter including salary requirements via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or you can mail to address below:
The Boston Catholic Cemetery Association
366 Cummins Highway
Roslindale, MA 02131
ATTN: Agent Search
This is a 30-35 hour per week position, with the possibility of paid, time and a half overtime. Office hours are 8:30am to 3:00pm Monday through Friday. We require all BCCA staff to work annual Memorial Day weekend which includes the Friday, Saturday and Sunday before and the Monday of said holiday. Benefits include health and dental insurance, vacation days, sick days, paid holidays, long term disability and life insurance.