Cemetery Maintenance Crafts Worker/Special MEO, City of Cambridge Department of Public Works
Under the supervision of the Working Supervisor, performs journey worker level masonry skills in putting in cement foundations for monuments. Digs graves as the primary function of this position. Operates pick-up trucks, dump trucks, rubbish compactor trucks, small tractors, bulldozers, rollers, or other vehicles with a rated capacity of 26,001 pounds or over; panel trucks, passenger automobiles, sidewalk plows and sweepers, snow loaders, leaf loaders, snow fighters, sidewalk rollers, and road flashers. Operates hoisting equipment where a special license from the Massachusetts Department of Public Safety is required. Greases, oils, cleans, and performs other minor preventive maintenance on equipment including some servicing on the job for certain special equipment. Minimum of two years of related experience. Must possess a current and valid Commercial Driver’s License Classification B and a 2B Hoisting Engineer License. $27.22 – $31.84/hour (7/1/22 additional 1.5% pay increase). To apply, complete a labor service application form (click on link) available from and returned to the Personnel Department, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Mass Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139 or submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review of resumes is ongoing. We are an AA/EEO Employer.
For a complete job description, visit link below:
Department of Public Works-Park
870 Hammond Street
Chestnut Hill, MA, 02467
Minutes Walk to Public Transit:
Job Close Date:
The Brookline Parks and Open Space Division is seeking a Cemetery Supervisor to perform supervisory, administrative, and manual work overseeing the operations and maintenance of the Town’s Walnut Hill Cemetery and to provide ongoing maintenance and care of the Old Burying Ground; other related work, as required.
The Cemetery Supervisor locates and lays out lots and graves; sells lots and
prepare deeds; maintains communication with funeral directors, memorial companies,
and vault companies; ensures that graves are set up for the day of the funeral. Other duties include:
- Plan daily and seasonal work activities; perform maintenance work and operate equipment; conduct seasonal fall and spring cleaning, prepare for special days, such as Memorial Day and Veterans Day; coordinate maintenance activities with the interment related work.
- Dig and prepare graves; seed and fertilize grave areas; maintain grounds and keep roads safe and clean; build foundations for headstones and set headstones; cut grass and clear weeds from around headstones; apply pesticides and other chemicals to provide for insect control; prune and shape shrubbery around lots.
- Perform administrative work, including data entry and records of internments.
- Perform other duties as directed, such as other ground maintenance duties or snow shoveling around public buildings; ensure compliance with applicable safety practices and standards.
- Perform similar or related work as required, or as situation dictates.
High school diploma; additional technical training; five years of experience
performing grounds maintenance and construction related work; supervisory
experience desirable; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Must have excellent communication and planning skills.
- Valid Commercial Driver’s License, Class B
- Valid MA Hoisting Engineer’s License
Starting salary: $33.20 hourly with excellent benefits. Work location is Walnut Cemetery, 96 Grove St., Chestnut Hill MA. Please apply by June 20, 2023.
The Town of Brookline is an equal opportunity employer and dedicated to maintaining a diverse workforce.
Boston Catholic Cemetery Association
Position Available Effective 09/25/2023
Job Title: Administrative Assistant
Reports To: Business Agent / Superintendent
Job Description: Customer service is the main priority of all office staff. Assisting funeral directors, monument dealers and families. Documents and maintains paperwork and process flows for interments. Data entry on all lots and grave sales, interments and cremations. Update lot cards and grave books. Answers phone calls and provide customer service for walk in customers.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education and Experience:
High School Diploma or equivalent
Must be able to speak and write fluent English
Strong computer skills – specifically Microsoft Office Products
Must be proficient in Cemetery software (HMIS & Gravoc) within first 30 days of employment
Detailed oriented and well organized
Excellent customer service skills
Preferred Experience: Previous experience working in cemetery office.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
1) Document and maintain paperwork and process flows for interments
2) Document and enter data for all lot and grave sales, interments and cremations, update lot cards and grave books
3) Create deeds, file folders and lot cards for all grave and lots after payment is received
4) Act as the first option of phone coverage for the office and customer service at the counter
5) Prepare work orders based on customer requests and coordinate completion with Operations Department
6) Ensure up-to-date filing of all documents
7) Maintain inventory of all brochures, literature and office supplies and place orders when required
8) Answer genealogy questions by letter, phone or in-person at the counter
9) Follow up with transportation permits and mail them to respective towns
10) Check the voicemails each morning and ensure all incoming calls are forwarded to the correct person
Compensation: Salary shall be commensurate with experience
To apply for this position please forward your resume and a cover letter including salary requirements via email to email@example.com or you can mail to address below:
The Boston Catholic Cemetery Association
366 Cummins Highway
Roslindale, MA 02131
ATTN: Agent Search
This is a 30-35 hour per week position, with the possibility of paid, time and a half overtime. Office hours are 8:30am to 3:00pm Monday through Friday. We require all BCCA staff to work annual Memorial Day weekend which includes the Friday, Saturday and Sunday before and the Monday of said holiday. Benefits include health and dental insurance, vacation days, sick days, paid holidays, long term disability and life insurance.